Gutters are an essential part of every home. Like the roof, they’re constantly exposed to wear and tear, and it will reach the point where repairs won’t be enough to keep them in good working condition. Here are signs that you need new gutters.
1. Blistered, bubbling or peeling paint – Galvanized steel and aluminum gutters typically come with factory-applied finishes that may be warranted against blistering, bubbling or peeling. While it’s not a single indicator that you need new gutters, it gives you an idea of your gutters’ condition. Corrosion may have already begun if bubbles or blisters are already present.
2. Rust spots – Rust spots, in its later stages, are readily visible from the ground. Peeling paint, rust spots and brown-red streaks indicate severe corrosion. Scraping, sanding and repainting can work as short-term solutions, but you will need to let your gutter contractor know about your gutters’ condition sooner rather than later.
3. Damaged fascia – Gutter hangers can be replaced. However, the fascia – the part of the roofing system to where the gutter hangers are attached – need to be structurally sound. If there are signs of moisture damage, the fascia, if not the entire gutter system, will need to be replaced.
4. Cracks in the gutters – Galvanized steel can crack due to strain caused by accumulated leaves and debris in the gutters, along with other factors like unusually heavy rainfall. In some cases, the gutters may be undersized. Extensive cracks, along with strain on the joints and seams, generally indicate that the gutters are near the end of its expected service life.
5. Loose gutter seams – Gutter seams may also come loose due to stress and result in leaks. It is possible to repair loose joints and seams with a fresh application of caulk, but it can only last for so long. Eventually, it will reach the point where you’d need to reapply caulk as often as every three months. Consider investing in seamless gutters as they’re far less likely to develop such problems.
Safe Harbor Roofing & Siding is your leading provider of gutter and roofing services, including roof repair. Give us a call at (913) 553-3620, or fill out our contact form. We serve customers in Shawnee, KS, and nearby areas.